Destiny 2 enters its fifth year with a brand new expansion pack entitled The Witch Queen. The story continues directly after Season of the Lost and focuses on the hunt for Savathun. Unlike the game’s previous campaigns, The Witch Queen campaign has two difficulties to choose from. Here is a quick overview of the differences between the Classic and Legendary campaign modes.
Classic Destiny 2 Campaign
Classic mode is considered the “normal” campaign difficulty. It has a recommended Power level of 1360 for new and returning Guardians alike. Feel free to use any weapon loadout during each mission as there are no modifiers.
Legendary Destiny 2 Campaign
Legendary mode is the “hard” or “extreme” campaign difficulty for Destiny 2: Witch Queen. It is recommended for seasoned Guardians who already have in-depth knowledge of the game’s mechanics. In other words, this is the difficulty of choice for players who don’t just want to blast through the entire campaign in a few hours.
Here is a list of modifiers for the Legendary campaign:
- Mettle: Your effective Power is capped below the recommended level. For example, the first mission suggests that you have at least 1360 Power. However, this modifier reduces your character’s Power to 1350 for the entire mission. Succeeding missions require a higher Power requirement, but you will still be capped around 10-20 levels below.
- Legendary: Enemy combatants spawn in larger numbers. They also have higher shields and attack more aggressively. It’s like every mission is a horde mode.
- Chaff: Radar is disabled. Better watch your back because there will be no motion detector to do it for you.
- Galvanized: Enemies have higher health and are more resistant to Stun effects.
- Fire Pit: Hive Acolytes spawn fire pools whenever they are defeated. They cause damage over time when you walk over them, so watch your step.
How hard is it to solo Legendary mode? The story missions scale in difficulty based on the number of members in the fireteam. Many players actually remarked that playing the campaign solo was easier than with a friend or two. Need help in grinding for Power levels quickly? Check out our guide here.
Campaign Rewards for Destiny 2 Witch Queen
Completing each mission on Classic difficulty gives you plenty of Legendary gear, Upgrade Modules, and a small chance of getting Exotic gear drops. If you think that’s a lot, then you should know that you can get even more loot for clearing each mission on Legendary difficulty.
- Exotic Armor (Random)
- Gear Bundle (1520 Power)
- Upgrade Modules (8 pcs)
- Exotic Emblem (A Higher Truth)
Which Difficulty Should You Try First
Classic mode is recommended for new Destiny players or those who just got back from a long break from the game. In addition, it’s the ideal difficulty for players who want to concentrate more on the story without worrying about their gear loadout.
If you’ve played all campaigns since Year 1, then you should be aware that they aren’t much of a challenge for Guardians with high Power levels. This is where Legendary mode comes in, it’s for players who want to be challenged during every story mission. Every mod, weapon, and subclass matters if you want to clear the entire Witch Queen campaign in Legendary.
You can switch between Classic and Legendary modes in-game anytime. Once you complete a mission in Classic mode, you can replay it multiple times in higher difficulties.
Do you need to complete the Campaign on Legendary difficulty for all your characters?
If you’re aiming for the Triumph for completing each mission or the entire campaign on Legendary, then you only need to do it on one character.
If you want to unlock the level 1520 armor bundle for each character—especially if you have a Hunter, Titan, and Warlock—then you have do complete the Legendary campaign all over again for your alts.
Where to Get Destiny 2: The Witch Queen
Destiny 2 Witch Queen is now available for all eligible gaming platforms. There are three purchase options for you to choose from:
- Standard Edition: Get this one if you only want the base expansion pack and the pre-order bonuses.
- Digital Deluxe Edition: This is the go-to choice for Destiny 2 players who want the entire Year 5 experience. It includes everything in the Standard Edition plus Seasons 16-19, two new Dungeons (coming soon), and new Exotic items.
- Digital Deluxe + Bungie 30th Anniversary: This ultimate bundle includes everything in the Witch Queen Digital Deluxe edition plus the goodies from Bungie’s 30th Anniversary DLC.
Now that you know what to expect in the campaign. Time to gear up, Guardians, because it’s time to hunt the Witch Queen! It doesn’t matter if you go solo or with a fireteam. Savathun and her Lucent Hive will be waiting for you, and it’s going to be a tough fight.