Here is a complete guide for God of War PC players who are having issues trying to run the game properly. Learn how to fix problems like stuttering, FPS drops, black screen, freezing, stuck on loading, unsaved progress, DirectX errors, and more.
There are four common reasons why God of War PC fails to run smoothly, or at all.
- Corrupted or missing game files.
- Outdated software.
- Incompatibility with other computer programs.
- Insufficient system requirements.
By the end of this guide, you will see a significant improvement not just with the game but your computer’s overall performance as well.
How to stop God of War PC from crashing
Is God of War constantly crashing? That means one or more programs in your computer might be causing incompatibility issues with the game. Microsoft suggests that the following applications might be the ones causing the game to crash on PC.
- Bitdefender Firewall
- Comodo Antivirus
- Emisoft Anti-Malware
- Trend Micro Maximum Security
Try disabling or uninstalling these types of programs before launching God of War.
In addition to the method above, here are some other ways to reduce compatibility issues between the game and your PC.
- Download and install the latest GPU drivers.
- Reinstall the game or verify the integrity of game files on Steam. This is to ensure that your antivirus program did not corrupt or delete any God of War files.
- Check system time and date.
- Install All in One Visual C++ Libraries to update your computer’s VCRedist files.
How to fix God of War PC frame rate drop or stuttering
Is the game stuttering? Learn how to optimize your computer’s FPS to avoid frame rate drops.
Step 1: Update your graphics drivers.
Open Device Manager and find Display adapters. Right-click on all your active drivers and check for updates.
Step 2: Modify Graphics Card Settings
- NVIDIA Users
- Open NVIDIA Control Panel
- Click on 3D Settings and select Manage 3D settings.
- Go to Program Settings.
- Add God of War to the list of programs.
- Select Prefer maximum performance in Power management mode.
- In Texture filtering, choose Quality to High performance
- Apply your changes and exit.
- AMD Users
- Launch AMD Radeon Settings.
- Go to the Gaming tab and select God of War.
- Enable Radeon Anti-Lag.
- Disable Radeon Chill.
- Disable Enhanced Sync.
- Turn off the Wait for Vertical Refresh option.
- Go to Advanced settings, and select Performance for Texture Filtering Quality.
These are additional workarounds that might help reduce the game’s stuttering or FPS drops.
- Launch Steam, go to Settings menu, and click Library. Enable Low Bandwidth Mode and Low-Performance Mode.
- Go to your Steam Library. Right-click on God of War PC and open the properties menu. Under the General properties, type in -dx11 in the Launch Options.
- Run Task Manager. Close any background applications that have high CPU usage before you launch the game.
- Open Windows Settings and select Xbox Game Bar. Disable background recordings.
What to do if God of War PC is not loading
Having no problems running the game but for some reason it just stops loading completely? That is usually a sign of an incompatibility issue with your Windows OS.
Before you begin, double-check if your PC meets the minimum software requirements for God of War. Next, you must do the following steps:
- Close or uninstall any active antivirus or antimalware programs.
- Disable or uninstall third-party programs and overlays.
- Go to the installation folder for God of War. You can do this in your Steam library by right-clicking on the game, selecting Manage and then Browse Local Files.
- Right-click on the God of War .exe file and select Properties.
- Enable DPI Override.
- Disable Full-Screen Optimizations.
How to fix sound or audio issues for God of War PC
Having trouble with making the audio work for God of War? There is either a problem with your sound driver or the game’s audio files were corrupted during installation.
- Open Windows Updates and make sure your sound drivers are using the latest version.
- Check if your computer’s default audio device is working properly.
- If the previous steps did not fix the problem, reinstall God of War or verify the integrity of game files (Steam).
What to do if God of War PC save files are not working
Some God of War PC players have reported that the game fails to save their progress, whether in local or multiplayer sessions.
- Use Steam to verify integrity of game files.
- Uninstall or disable any antivirus software.
- Double-check if your Internet connection is working.
- Never exit the game while it’s storing your progress.
It also helps to keep a backup copy of your save files apart from the ones stored on Steam cloud.
How to deal with God of War PC controller issues
Does your controller disconnect or not work when playing God of War PC? This is usually caused by faulty controllers or incompatible drivers. Here is a common troubleshooting method:
- Inspect your controller. Is it physically damaged? If yes, skip the rest of this section and try a different one. Otherwise, proceed to the next step.
- Update your Steam Client to the latest version or reinstall it.
- Open Device Manager and update all controller driver software.
- Launch Steam Big Picture mode and disable the input settings.
- Open Windows Update and check that your OS is using the most recent version.
Fixing the black screen/freezing/stuck issues for God of War PC
Nothing ruins a PC gamer’s mood more than a blank, freezing, or stuck screen. If these problems happen while playing God of War, then there might be a problem with the game files or the Windows settings. Here are a few ways to fix these issues.
- Make sure that your computer’s time, date, and time zone are correct and synchronized.
- Disconnect any USB devices or Mixed Reality headsets that you are not using before launching the game.
- Disable your antivirus software or add God of War PC to its list of allowed programs.
- Verify integrity of game files if you are playing on Steam.
- Open Device Manager. Uninstall your GPU drivers and reinstall them.
- Install All in One Visual C++ Libraries to get the latest VCRedist files.
- Open Windows Update and check if your computer is using the latest version of Windows. If not, download and install the necessary files and reboot your computer.
- Deactivate Steam overlays and any third-party overlay programs. Close any overclocked programs , turn off the Steam cloud synchronization, and restart your PC.
- Launch the game. In the main menu, enable Fullscreen and disable Vsync.
How to play God of War PC on full screen
Fullscreen mode is known to cause the least amount of problems for PC games, especially if the the highest resolutions are enabled.. , and God of War PC is one of them.
- Launch the game and go to the settings. Make sure Fullscreen is selected, not Windowed or Borderless Window.
- Download the latest GPU drivers via Device Manager or Windows Update.
- Check if your computer is using the latest version of DirectX.
Fixing the DirectX error for God of War PC
Does God of War PC keep crashing because of a DirectX error? Follow the steps below.
- Open Windows Update.
- Check for updates. If your GPU or Direct X drivers are outdated, Windows should automatically download the latest files.
- Download and install All Visual C++ Libraries.
Solution for God of War PC memory error
Do you often get the “not enough memory” error message when playing God of War on your PC? It happens when your computer does not have enough disk memory to continue loading the game after launch. Just do the following:
- Go to NVIDIA Control Panel by right click on desktop.
- Click on the Manage 3D Settings.
- In the Global Settings, Select High Performance NVIDIA Processor.
- Restart your computer.
God of War (2018) is an action-adventure video game developed by Santa Monica Studio and published by Sony. It is the eighth entry in the God of War franchise and the sequel to God of War III (2010). This game was first released exclusively for the PlayStation 4 on April 20, 2018, followed by a Microsoft Windows version in January 2022.